Sunday, April 27, 2008

forgotten tears, by nina bennett


so, i finally picked up the book i ordered a couple of months ago. "forgotten tears" is a grandmother's journey through grief following the stillbirth of her granddaughter. i found myself intentionally skipping pages that were too painful to read - feeling the familiar lump in my throat and knot in my stomach i just pushed everything back down to where it has been for the last few weeks. i don't even have words any more. i am still fighting it. i still want my daughter back. i know she will never be the same. i know there will always be something/someone missing in our family. i want to be already down the road. far away from this spot we're muddling through.

excerpts:

"as a healthcare professional, stages of grief were someting concrete i could describe to people dealing with the death of a loved one. yet, when i was faced with the death of my granddaughter, i didn't feel as though the stages had much relevance to what i was experiencing. how could i possible resolve the loss of my granddaughter? how could i "move on"? the fact that maddy had not survived delivery is unacceptable. "

"Our own pain threatens to overwhelm us, but to see OUR children in so much pain is, in many cases, more than we can bear. this adds another layer of complicated emotions for grandparents. we want to be able to help our children in any way possible, and yet we have other responsibilities. we are pulled in many different directions. we need to return to work for financial reasons as well as limitations on time off; yet, we want to be available to our child. we need to grieve our loss, yet we feel as though we must hold it together and appear strong in front of our children. we want to spend every minute with our bereaved child, yet we have other family members who also need us. our hearts break at the sight of our children's anguish and we long to help them. at the same time, we are also experiencing what feels like unbearable pain, and we need to find our way through our own grief. as tempting as it is to deny what we are feeling, we cannot put our grief aside while we help our child. it sounds contradictory to say that we need to do our own grieving simultaneously while doing whatever we can to provie comfort for our child, but that is precisely the complexity of being a bereaved grandparent."

"I am powerless, i am helpless, i am frustrated, i sit here and cry with her. she cries for her daughter and i cry for mine. i CANNOT help her. i can't reach inside and take her broken heart. i must watch her suffer day after day and see her desolation. where is my power now? where is my mother's bag of tricks that will make it all better? where are the answers. i should have them. i'm a mother."

"There are times when i looked into my daughter's lost dark eyes and thought i would never see the face of my real daughter again. that is what cut my heart to ribbons even more than losing my grandchild - the thought that i had lost my daughter as well."

"what i didn't expect was that i would still be crying several months after maddy died."

"sudden, unanticipated death casts an overlying layer of trauma on the loss. the person's emotional responses are intensified; he or she may even exhibit symptoms of posttraumatic shock. the suddenness and lack of anticipation of the death overwhelm the mourner, leaving little resources for coping. "

and words like these, written by a grieving grandmother, words i could have written myself, i race over in an effort to control wracking sobs:

"maddy (sydney grace) will always be a part of me. she will never be forgotten. every breeze that touches my cheek will be my granddaughter whispering secrets. every fluffy cloud that floats across the sky is a kiss i am sending her. i will see her in every soft sunrise and brilliant sunset. and when i'm in colorado and feel a snowflake on my face, i know that maddy (sydney grace) will be telling me its time to stop crying. maddy (sydney grace), i loved you from the moment i knew you existed and i will always love you."

i still cry in church every single sunday morning. i can't help it. usually it is when i am singing that God cares about me, is wonderful to me, is my Strength. funny, that when i sing of all those things He is to me and is for me, that is when i cannot control the tears. and it lurks beneath hillarys and funny bloggers and broken trees on houses and all the other stuff i vomit to keep my sadness from becoming who i am.

this is all just so dang hard.




"

5 comments:

A Journey Well Taken: Life After Loss said...

I am so sorry for your loss, and your family's loss. May you be blessed. elaine

redbyrd said...

i love you, mom. i am still here. just in a fog, a painful heavy fog....thank you for being patient with me and for loving me through this even when i drift off into the fog alone most days...i am lucky to have you. sydney was lucky to have you love her so much before you even met her face to face...i love you. be patient with me...i am a constant work/mess in progress....i love you.

Gram said...

i will wait. funny, i know from experience that though you will never "get over" losing sydney, you WILL know a more joyful existence. it just seems more forever right now than i remember it. and i want the forever part to be over for you. hmm, now none of that made a lot of sense. i miss you and your little buddy....well, yes i miss liam but i was talking about amy :) i love you! m^m

Rob and Amy said...

Jan,
Thank you for posting on my blog (which is in a very serious need of an update!) I went and saw there were 2 comments on my most recent post, and a huge smile came across my face when I saw that it was you who had posted.

I have so thoroughly enjoyed following along in your blog- during good time, and harder times.

I love Alyssa's tattoo. It is precious, it is perfect.

When I saw Alyssa's tattoo..I immediately thought of Dr.Seuss's book..."Oh the Places You Will Go.". It is so true.

You are all in my prayers.

Jen said...

I'm so sad for you all, and I am praying for you.